Weeks 149 and 150: Chapter five is done

Finally, after ten months’ struggle, I have completed writing the findings chapter. For the last month, I have been amending the chapter by revising narrative descriptions and some linguistic errors, and adding the findings of a thematic analysis of interview data.


35,000-word findings

The findings chapter has 35,000 words, including transcripts and translations of the original data. It comprises 37% of my 94,000-word PhD thesis. My supervisor said she initially thought the volume was too large but that all the examples and descriptions of my findings were interesting. This was the best compliment I’ve ever received from her. We decided to leave all of them in the chapter.

This is a characteristic of social science; looking at one single case qualitatively can be as meaningful as large amounts of quantitative data. When trying to understand someone, every aspect of their background, circumstances, institutional culture and society can provide important non-verbal information.

Also, all the medical doctors in my studies are my heroes. Their professional mindset and skills were brilliant. What they said during interviews has added value and credit to the quality of my findings. I am happy to have reached a point where I’ve written something even though my thesis does not change the world.


Mushroom Hayashi rice dinner


A little coffee break before going to my class


Ippudo Ramen


My achievements in Weeks 149 and 150

  • Completed the revision of Chapter 5.

Goals for Week 151

  • Work on Chapter 6.
  • Have a formal meeting with my primary supervisor.
%d bloggers like this: